Please note that the PARADISEC website has been redesigned.
The new website can be found at http://www.paradisec.org.au/
Presentations on PARADISEC
A list of publications and public presentations on PARADISEC, with links to relevant resources where appropriate.
- Thieberger, Nicholas and Andrea Berez. 2012. Linguistic data management. In Thieberger, Nicholas. (ed) The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Fieldwork. Oxford: OUP.
- Nick Thieberger, Linda Barwick, Rosey Billington and Jill Vaughan (eds) 2011. Sustainable data from digital research: Humanities perspectives on digital scholarship. Free download here. Purchase the book here. Melbourne: Custom Book Centre, University of Melbourne.
- Thieberger, Nicholas. 2011. Spoken language corpora: Applications for small languages. TELDAP International Conference 2010 Proceedings. Taipei: Academia Sinica.
- Thieberger, Nicholas and Michel Jacobson. 2010. Sharing data in small and endangered languages: cataloging and metadata, formats and encodings. In Lenore Grenoble and Louanna Furbee (eds) Language Documentation. Practice and values. Amsterdam: Benjamins. 147-158.
- Thieberger, Nicholas. 2010. Linguistic preservation and linguistic responsibility: examples from the Pacific. Gunter Senft. (ed) Endangered languages in the Pacific: Essays on their Documentation, Archiving, and Revitalization. Canberra: Pacific Linguistics.
- Thieberger, Nicholas. 2010. Anxious respect for linguistic data: the Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures (PARADISEC) and the Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity (RNLD). Margaret Florey. (ed). Endangered languages of Austronesia. Oxford: OUP. 141-158.
- Barwick, Linda and Nicholas Thieberger. (eds.) 2006. Sustainable Data from Digital Fieldwork Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Barwick, L., & Thieberger, N. (2005). Cybraries in paradise: new technologies and ethnographic repositories. In C. Kapitzke & B. C. Bruce (Eds.), New libraries and knowledge spaces: critical perspectives on information and education. Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Barwick, L. (2005e). Networking digital data on endangered languages of the Asia Pacific region. International Journal of Indigenous Research, 1(1), 11-16.
- Barwick, L. (2004a). Turning it all upside down . . . Imagining a distributed digital audiovisual archive. Literary and Linguistic Computing, 19(3), 253-263.
- Linda Barwick, Networking digital data on endangered languages in the Asia-Pacific region. Plenary paper presented to the International Conference on the Indigenous, University of Malaya, Legend Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, 4 July 2005.
- Linda Barwick, PARADISEC: a university repository of qualitative research data in the humanities. Paper presented at the Australasian Sound Recordings Association Annual Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, 30 June 2005.
- Linda Barwick, Digital data archives in the humanities: issues for the semantic web. The case of PARADISEC. Invited presentation to the workshop "Exploring eScience Session 4: Toward a semantic web for digital data archives" at the 19th Asia Pacific Advanced Networks Meeting, Bangkok, Thailand, 27 January 2005. Powerpoint presentation available from http://www.apan.net/meetings/bangkok2005/presentation/Linda.zip.
- Nick Thieberger Archiving and the Flow of Field Work presentation to the Open Language Archives Community's "Archiving and Linguistic Resources or How to keep your data from becoming endangered." February. 2005, Oakland California. http://www.language-archives.org/events/olac05/olac-lsa05-thieberger.pdf , http://www.language-archives.org/events/olac05/olac-lsa05-thieberger.ppt
- Linda Barwick. The Musicologist's Wishlist: Issues, practices and practicalities in documenting endangered musics, invited presentation to the workshop "Multidisciplinary Approaches to Language Documentation," run by the Endangered Languages Academic Programme, SOAS, London, 4 December 2004 (http://www.hrelp.org/events/workshops/elap2004/).
- Linda Barwick. PARADISEC setup and its implications, invited presentation to the DELAMAN meeting, "International Expert Meeting on Access Management for Distributed Language Archives," Nijmegen, Netherlands, 29-30 November 2004 - presentation on PARADISEC's archiving structure and requirements for participating in proposed federated DELAMAN structure. (http://www.mpi.nl/delaman/workshop/) .
- Linda Barwick, Using audio in musicological research: the power of the timecode. Paper presented at the Symposium of the International Musicological Society, Melbourne, Australia, 16 July 2004.
- Nick Thieberger presented material on PARADISEC to the EMELD Working
Group on Resource Archiving in July 11-13, 2004 at East Lansing, Michigan,
- Linda Barwick, Turning it all upside down: Imagining a distributed digital audio archive, refereed conference paper presented to the Digital Resources for the Humanities Conference, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham UK, 2 September 2003. http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/3/253
- Nick Thieberger presented on PARADISEC to the Foundation for Endangered Languages conference in Broome, September 2003
- Linda Barwick presentation on PARADISEC at the Oceania Study Group meeting at the MSA/NZMS conference in Wellington, New Zealand 27-30 November, 2003
- PARADISEC was represented by a poster at the Pacific Neighbourhood Consortium (PNC) conference in Bangkok, 7-9 November, 2003
- Linda Barwick presented on PARADISEC at the eScience workshop of the 17 thAsia-Pacific Advanced Network Consortium (APAN) conference in Hawaii in January 2004
- Nick Thieberger presented on PARADISEC at the COOL conference in Vila, Vanuatu in July, 2004 http://www.vanuatu.usp.ac.fj/paclangunit/SecondCircular.htm
- Nick Thieberger presented on audio-text linking at the LREC conference in Lisbon, Portugal in May, 2004.
- Linda Barwick, Cross-institutional research output: the PARADISEC experience. Paper presented at the APSR Colloquium "National Perspectives on Sustainability", Canberra, ANU, 10 June 2005.
- Linda Barwick, Divide and concord: designing digital repositories in relation to cultural heritage communities. Paper presented at the Technocultures of Knowledge Series, Centre for Cross-Cultural Research, Canberra, 17 March 2005.
- Linda Barwick, New collaborations in the e-humanities: endangered languages and music archives into the 21st century. Paper presented at the Grangenet Research Showcase, Canberra, 9 August 2004.
- Linda Barwick, Digital time-based media in research: current issues and projects. Paper presented at the Computing Arts Conference 2005 Workshop "Using digital audio for research", Newcastle, NSW, 7 July 2004.
- Linda Barwick, Digital collections and community users: some examples from PARADISEC and indigenous cultural centres in northern Australia. Paper presented at the Australasian Sound Recordings Association Annual Conference, Canberra, 13 May 2004.
- Linda Barwick, Planning for PARADISEC. Refereed presentation
to the national Ozeculture Conference in Brisbane on 31 July 2003. http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/conference3/program.htm
Download from the Department of Communication Information Technology and The Arts website: http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/conference3/barwick/barwick.pdf
- Linda Barwick gave a presentation on PARADISEC at the Garma Forum held in Gulkula, Arnhem Land, 11 August 2003. http://www.garma.telstra.com/2003/mysic_symp.htm
- Linda Barwick and Nick Thieberger, PARADISEC in broadband, invited presentation to the National Scholarly Communications Forum ‘Strictly Broadband’, Museum of Victoria, 31 October 2003.
- Stuart Hungerford presentation to the DRSIG meeting on the 27th October, 2004 entitled "The Well-Tempered Repository: About the PARADISEC Repository"
- Nick Thieberger and Linda Barwick, presentation on PARADISEC to staff of the Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, ANU, 1 April 2003
- Nick Thieberger, presentation on PARADISEC to Department of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, University of Melbourne, 23 April 2003
- Nick Thieberger and Linda Barwick, 'Establishing an archive of digital audio and video recordings of endangered language and cultural material of the Pacific', Department of Linguistics Research Seminar, University of Sydney, 4 April 2003
- Nick Thieberger, presentation on PARADISEC to the Melbourne Technology for Endangered Languages Forum, 19 March 2003
- Amanda Harris presented on PARADISEC at the Building and Managing Resources Online Forum organised by Fisher Library, University of Sydney, 18 July 2003
- Linda Barwick, presentation on PARADISEC at the Australian E-Humanities Research Network Workshop, 11-13 December 2003
- Linda Barwick, presentation on PARADISEC at the Faculty of Arts Research Information Day on Digital technologies, University of Sydney, 2003